Now you’ve joined, where should you start?
Here are a few tips on some club activities you may want to try. Don’t be afraid of choosing a different path, these are simply suggestions.
Register with Run Britain : The runbritain handicap gives runners of all abilities the chance to record their progress and compare their results across a variety of distances and terrains. Search for any distance and any age group. Find out where your times puts you in the governing body’s official UK road rankings. https://www.runbritain.com/ and for calculating time and pace try this: https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/
UK Athletic’s Power of 10 site is also worth exploring.
If you run a bit but want to run further and faster.
- Become a regular on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Ladywell and/or join a Sunday group run.
- From 6.45pm on Tuesday and Thursday depending on the group (if in doubt contact the Coaching Secretary for advice on which group to join)
- Various locations and distances (contact the Coaching Secretary)
- Enter your first club handicap race straight away, giving yourself a better chance of winning as you get faster.
- See calendar for details
If you are an experienced runner.
- Become a regular at track and hill sessions.
- Enter a Cross Country Race (winter) or the Assembly League series (summer) and come along to the pub afterwards.
- Plan your diary around the Club Championship Races, road relays and Nationals
If you are a track and field athlete.
- Join our athletics training sessions on Tuesdays & Thursdays starting at 6:45pm
- Come to a Southern Athletics meeting as part of our team (scoring or non-scoring).
- Volunteer to help out at athletics events. No experience is required to rake a sandpit or retrieve a thrown object! Or train to be a qualified official.
New members ‘welcome pack’
The membership secretary issues an ‘electronic’ pack to each new member. It contains the following:
Dear New Member,
You can self-print the membership card which can be used as proof of membership and for obtaining a range of discounts shown in the list below.
It can also be used to gain entry to the track at Ladywell Arena at the current discounted rate of £1.60.
As a new member you will receive a club vest as part of the joining fee.
If you are male what size (XS,S, M, L, XL or XXL) do you require?
If you are female what size (6, 8, 10, 12,14 or 16) do you require?
Please reply directly to this email and I will arrange for the vest to be sent to you.
Please note: Vests are normally available for collection at the track on Tuesday evenings. Ask for the Welcome Coordinator from 18:45 – 19:00
I look forward to hearing from you.
Bernie Hutchinson – Membership Secretary
Also included are the following attachments
Current fixture list
Our club uses membermojo.co.uk for online membership. Payment is made using PayPal, BACS or cheque.